August 1, 2008

Waiting.

Waiting. I hate waiting. It seems like a total waste of time and I don't think that my personality goes together well with it. The last week and a half I have been waiting for my iliotibial band to heal before I can get back out there and start hitting it again. It's killing me. During the 50K, I had some major pain in my left knee which I have now found out is one of the top 5 most common runner injuries called "iliotibial band syndrome". Basically from what I have learned, the iliotibial band connects the hip to the lower leg and when it gets either tweaked or over trained it hurts. The cure? Rest, ice, and an a script from the doc for inflammation. The part that is killing me is rest. With only 49 days left to departure, all I can think about is training and at the moment it has to wait. There's that word again.......

In my quest to train for the hunt I managed to find the race details on the Ptauny 50K in Pennsylvania on September 6. If the little situation I'm dealing with allows I'm going to get that in. Due to the timing and distance, it would be a total "Banzai" run (if you don't know what "Banzai" means, then I would suggest you pick up Cameron Hanes book, "Backcountry Bowhuting"), more to come if the leg allows. Anyway, September 6 is two weeks before we leave and it would be one last chance to get the legs and mind ready, the timing is perfect. We'll see how it plays out.

With the forced time off I have been spending more time scouring gear and getting ready. I started to fletch up the Carbon Express. Last year I switched to the NAP 2" Quickspins and they worked awesome. Loved them, busting dots out to 70. Gear is almost completely put together with the exception of a few last food items. I spoke to Pup the other day and his pack is together, came out at around 42 lbs. Wow. I don't know what mine is yet, but I sure hope it's lighter than 42 lbs. All the more reason to go out and pound more pavement.

So for now, I'm stretching and doing my exercises to help the healing process, let's hope it works. I have no time to waste.

3 comments:

  1. Ryan- Don't despair- The IT Band heals quickly if treated right. Do you have one of those fat styrofoam cylinders to stretch it out? As a backcountry bow hunter (and new father) I am enjoying following your Quest. -Mick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mick. I think I may have the IT Band licked.....we'll see this weekend how it feels. Congrats on being a new father, what a crazy, awesome experience it is!! Good luck this fall and I'm glad you enjoy.

    Ryan-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool, Shu. The Colorado elk should be shaking where they stand. They have no idea know what's coming for them.

    ReplyDelete