September 6, 2008

The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Happy Birthday Dad. Today is a special day for a man that I owe my success in life to. Not only for planting in me the passion for bowhunting, but for being my role model. For those of you who don't know my father, you should. He is what a father should be. He is, what I hope to be for Owen. A teacher, a supporter, and a best friend.

Thinking back to where it all started, it doesn't get much better then the days of hunting squirrels together. I was probably 5 years old at the time. Our weapon of choice was a single shot .410 with about 5 pairs of socks on the end. I was deadly, or so I thought. I can remember sitting there in the woods with dad beside me and wanting to shoot every red jimmy that ran by. Dad would tell me to be patient and hold out for a fox squirrel. It would drive me nuts. I guess when you're 5 years old patience is hard to come by.

From squirrels it went to Whitetails. Whenever dad was out bowhunting the hours seemed like days. I can remember being up in my room and looking out the window just waiting to hear him come home. I was so anxious that I would have my "tracking" clothes out ready, just hoping for that chance to get to help dad bring home that big buck.

When I was in the 5th grade, I was finally old enough to try and take a Whitetail so we geared up for my first Ohio gun season. Before the hunt I can remember sitting in our house and looking at picture after picture in the pages of Deer and Deer Hunting magazines. Each picture that we flipped to dad would quiz me on where to aim. The plan was for this hunt I was going to be on my own. He was putting me in the old faithful stand, a stand where he had taken numerous whitetails with his bow. Dad was going to be on the other end of the woods. He told me that when it was time or he heard me shoot he would come to get me. That cold December morning was one that will live forever. I was lucky enough to take my first deer, a 3 point. I'll never forget dad coming through the woods and seeing my 3 point laying there. Neither of us could hardly believe it.

To me, this passion for bowhunting isn't about what you take or how big it is, as I said before, it's about the memories that are created. Besides being married to my best friend and my son being born, times spent with my dad together in the woods are as good as it gets. I can never repay or say thank you enough to him for what he has given and created in me. For all the times he took me out and we got to spend time together just sitting there, enjoying life and passing up red jimmies together, I say thank you. That's the journey and in some ways, that's the destination. That is what hunting is about. I certainly do not want to wish time away, but I cannot wait until I get to go back to where it all started and sit beside my Dad, 5-socked .410 in hand, having Dad and I create those same great memories with Owen.

So on this special day I say Happy Birthday and thank you to my Dad. I am what I am because of him.

4 comments:

  1. You are right Ryan, today is a special day for me. It is special because God has blessed me with 57 years of life, that has been a ride no seat belt could ever hold back. Today I think about my high school sweet heart who became my wife. You and Jori, Sarah and Jason, and of course Owen and Jarrett, what a blessing. And for my grandpuppy Harry, what was life like without him. For those of you who don't know Ryan, I hope you get to. He is the kind of guy you like being around. He is the kind of guy that when he says he is going to do something, he does it. He is the kind of guy that is always your friend no matter what kind of mess you are in. He is the kind of guy that likes to come back home and get a pizza at our old favorite place. He is the kind of guy that makes the hunting trip a success even when you come back empty handed. He is the kind of guy that I would want for a dad if I were a kid. He is the kind of guy who does right things, does things right and does right things right. He is the kind of guy that is never to old to give me a hug and say I love you dad. He is the kind of guy that I can say thankyou to for being a son who is far beyond my expectations. So today I too say thankyou Ryan for who you are and what you have become. I love you, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great post and a great comment! I wish both of you all the best in life, and it sounds like you have it all already! Good luck this upcoming season and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know much about hunting but I can tell you that you are inspiring to read about. There is no doubt you will have no problem being a great role model for your son. Good luck this season. Cool about the elk thing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,Good job on your hunt and congrats.Your dad is one lucky guy to have a son like you and Owen is one lucky boy to have a dad like you.Keep up the good job and you and Jori enjoy that lovely son of yours. Todd

    ReplyDelete