October 13, 2008

Back to Basics.....

Fall is here. Leaves are changing, mornings are cooler, and lately I have been feeling a tingle that tells me the November rut is right around the corner. Yes, soon it will be that special time of year. The time to be in the stand all day trying to catch that bruiser buck on his feet.

For me, bowhunting whitetails runs deep. It is something I grew up doing and where I cut my teeth. Some of my most cherished memories in life were made 20ft up, standing on a 24X30" platform, hanging from a tree.

Although Whitetail season here in Ohio opened the last weekend in September, I hadn't had a chance to get out until this past Saturday. The area I bowhunt requires me to take 2 does before I can take a buck. In order to stay on pace before the rut hits, the pressure was on. I had to fill at least one of my tags.

Sitting there that morning and rolling into hour number 2 I heard the ever telling sound of a deer walking. Two does were coming my way. Instantly the blood is pumping and my heart started to race. Believe me, when you are required to punch 2 doe tags before you can think about arrowing a buck, every doe you see becomes a "Booner".

As I turn to get into position the lead doe hits 20 yards and holds up. There is something she doesn't like. Although 20 yards is definitely "in the zone" she is coming directly at me, which gives me no option for a shot. After a short stand off, she decided she has had enough and walked away the exact same way as she approached. Again, no shot and agony sets in. She might as well been a 150" 8 point walking away. All I could think about is blowing what could have been a great opportunity at #1. As I stand there trying to figure out where it went wrong, I turn and notice another doe, standing at 15 yards, quartering away. Perfect.

I raise the bow, put tension on the string, and the Pearson comes to full draw. After centering my bubble and placing my pin, I squeezed the release. In a split second the Carbon Express shaft was off, full steam ahead. The arrow found its mark and a short 80 yards later Doe number #1 was in the books.

Next up after the Columbus Marathon on the 19th will be a much anticipated trip to Alabama. Pup, Frasca, and I received an invite from Pearson to come down and bowhunt some bama Whitetails. Stay tuned, because once again we will be loading up the truck and heading out for another epic adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment