October 21, 2008

C-bus(t)......

In my continual quest to train for the hunt, I toed the line Sunday for my last marathon of the year. The Columbus race was one I have had on my radar for awhile because it was my last chance to make the qualifier for the 2009 Boston Marathon.

The thing that makes Boston such an awesome achievement is that not just anyone can run this race. Boston you have to earn. For me, ages 18-34, I needed to run the 26.2 miles in less than 3 hours, 10 minutes and 59 seconds. Saturday in Columbus, I ran 4 minutes and 23 seconds too slow.

Driving down all I could think about was how this race was going to come down to 100% guts. I needed to cut 13 minutes off my last marathon time, of which was my fastest race to date. Plus I was coming off a training schedule that was anything but normal. I just wasn't quite sure where I was at and what to expect.

Race plans were pretty simple. I was going to get with the 3:10 pace group and stay with them as long as I could. It was all or nothing. Either I was going to make it or go down in flames.

5 am alarm sounds and race day is here. Clear and cool, it's a perfect morning for running. After making my way through the 12,000 runners to front, I found myself with the 3:10 group and waiting for the start of my 3rd marathon of the year. I love the moment just before the start. It's filled with a feeling of excitement and nervousness. Once the gun goes off nervousness turns to concentration and it's all about how quickly you can dial into your pace.

The first few miles went quick and we were moving well through mile 12. By that halfway point at 13 we were 30 seconds ahead of schedule and on pace to finish at a 3:09:30. That is until at 18 when the wheels started to come off. It was at the point that I began to realize I was in trouble. At miles 19 and 20 we hit a gain in elevation that hurt bad. I pushed with everything I had and gutted it out until we crested but it was too late. I had spent everything I had staying with the group during 18, 19, and 20. All I could do was watch them go.

Believe me when I tell you that is a moment I won't soon forget. In fact, it will pretty much stay with me for the next 7 months. I spent the next 6.2 miles in agony, doing everything I could to salvage the race. With each stride came a step closer to the end. The only thing that got me through was knowing I had been there before. From hauling meat in Colorado, to running the 50K. Each had points when finishing seemed almost impossible.
I look at experiences like this as a gut check for the soul. In my opinion, that's why long distance running is such a draw for me and why I feel like its such a great training tool for DIY hunting. In the end I crossed the finish line at 3:15:22, 8 minutes faster than my last marathon, but, 4 minutes and 23 seconds over the Boston qualifying time.

So now it's back to the drawing board. I have said it once and I'll say it again, failure is not an option, it is only a temporary obstacle. I'll take the next 7 months and focus on the vision of that group slowing pulling away from me which is now so clearly etched in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment