June 24, 2008

Tuesday, June 24

The weekend was awesome! Didn’t get as much done as I had hoped, but I did get a little time to start laying things out for the pack, plus I streamlined the gear list a little. My hope was to actually start packing the 4500 so I could get a picture of what it’s going to look like.

I did get some good runs in, did 10 on Saturday and then hit the trail for probably my best go at it on the Buckeye so far. Pounded out another 12 on Sunday and felt great. Gives me 49 for the week. Each time I go I feel I’m getting stronger, I think I have finally fully recovered from the Marathon. To be honest, the first time I went it was rough. Took me forever and I even had to walk some of the steep hills. In fact on the ride home, I questioned if I hadn’t gotten in over my head with this race. But now, I'm feeling good, running the steep hills, and getting 12 done in less then 1hr 45 minutes. With 4 weeks to go until race time things look okay. If I can manage to keep it at a 9 minute mile, that puts me right around 5 hrs for my first ultra. Not too shabby.

Well, here we go again, another week of preparation. I felt pretty good this morning even though it was a short 4hr night. Thanks to Owen, I think I’m getting better at being fully functional on 4 hrs or less. Stumbled downstairs, slug down a cup of coffee, walked into the darkness, and hit play on the iPod. I was planning on doing 8-9 but I got pumped thinking about mountains and horns and ended up doing 12. Going to hit mid 50’s this week, next week I should be over 60.

Only 86 days until we wake up on the side of a mountain in Colorado with bugling Elk. Gives me chills.....I can't freaken' wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment