July 3, 2008

Wednesday, July 3


One of the things Pup and I have been working on is settling on a solution for how/what we're going to use for a stove in the backcountry. We have been discussing different options and ultimately settled on what we think is an awesome solution....an esbit stove. Stove and fuel for 8 days weighs less than 10oz. I did a little research and found that these stoves can be bought at most Army surplus stores. So yesterday, I stopped and picked up a stove and 4 boxes of fuel tabs for a whopping $8.60. When I got home I put it to the test and boiled 2 cups of water in 6 minutes. Perfect. Each Mountain House meal (my dinner each night) calls for 2 cups of boiling water, of which I can make in less than 6 minutes. Check one more off the list.

Preparation for the ultra and hunt has been going good. With the race only 2 weeks away there's no time to rest. Each day I try to pack on more and more miles getting myself ready for the ultra. Today I hit the trail for 20 miles in the pouring, and I mean pouring rain. It rained the entire time I was running. It rained so much that a steam I normally cross by just walking on the tops of rocks was up to my knees. At that point, I couldn't help but wonder how many other people would be doing this right now? How many other bowhunters push themselves this hard just to hunt Elk?

Not many is the solution I came up with, most would take an easier route. I pushed on and harder. I said it once and I'll say it again......failure is not an option in my book. It's just not in my make up. Whatever I can do to improve my chances in the mountains I'm on it. If that means pounding out 20 miles on the hills of the buckeye trail in the pouring rain, than sign me up. If it's easy, I want no part of it, give me a double shot of pain and suffering. As Cam says, "Easy Seldom Makes Memories" and I'm all about the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment